Position: Director of Accounting and HR
Reports to: CFO
Location: Oakland, CA
About: CivicSolar is a leading national solar equipment distributor to small and medium installers, with 3,500 contractor customers across the United States, Caribbean, and Latin America. Our mission is accelerate the adoption of solar power by being the industry’s most efficient and responsive distributor.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Manage the accounting team
- Own the accuracy & timely reporting of all accounting transactions and financial statements
- Own all HR processes
Detailed Accounting Responsibilities:
- Lead monthly, quarterly, and annual close processes.
- Perform month-end reconciliation analyses.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Manage income tax and sales tax processes.
- Coordinate annual tax returns with outside CPA firm.
- Implement process improvements to streamline and standardize all accounting processes
- Coordinate with other departments for seamless data management.
- Serve as a technical accounting expert for complicated transactions
- Manage relationships and pricing with bank and vendors
- Make data-based daily decisions re customer credit terms
- Ensure timely collections and payments
- Manage the accounting team, providing clear direction, ensuring high-quality work outputs, and supporting staff in their professional development
- Support CFO on wide variety of projects as needed.
Detailed HR Responsibilities:
- Review / compare / negotiate / set up health plans & other benefit plans
- Manage annual open enrollment process
- Coordinate & administer hiring process
- Coordinate & administer termination process
- Troubleshoot issues with HR vendors and portals
- Manage payroll and commission processes
- Administer employee updates in HR systems
- Coordinate performance review and job description update processes
- Maintain organized database of all HR-related employee documentation
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding HR administration
- Serve as point person with HR vendors
- Tactfully and discreetly manage special employee situations
- Maintain utmost confidentiality
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting and internal control principles.
- Outstanding level of analytical aptitude, logic, and reason - as demonstrated by mathematical test scores, grades, training, &/or experience
- High emotional intelligence.
- Passion for accounting, HR, and solar
Desired Experience and Education:
- 5+ years accounting experience with mid-sized U.S. companies, or equivalent
- 2+ years experience in HR
- Analytical experience using MySQL or similar database query languages
- Experience working in SalesForce or similarly complex ERP system
- Accounting degree or significant accounting coursework.
- CPA certification or equivalent
Skills & Personal Qualities:
- Strong organization, priority setting, and decision making skills.
- Strong logic and proclivity toward data-based decision-making.
- Knowledge, intuition, and interest in HR law and guidelines.
- Advanced data analysis skills, including Excel and SQL data analysis skills.
- Ability to revise chart of accounts and accounting processes as needed as business evolves.
- Ability to deliver quality work on tight deadlines without supervision.
- Ability to both take direction and work independently
- Ability to negotiate terms with customers and vendors.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong people management and coaching skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Passion for solar.
Salary $80-90k, depending on experience, plus a competitive package of benefits.